Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thailand Day 5 - Koh Samet

We took day five pretty easy, as we had been going constantly for the first four days. We got up early (but not too early) for the breakfast and then we went swimming in the ocean and started looking for pretty sea shells to take home.

We swam out pretty deep and were diving to the bottom to pull up HUGE (like, bigger than our hands) mussels, to look at and just generally playing around, when I suddenly felt a horrible poke on my feet. I am a really good swimmer, so I immediately started swimming away and I pulled up my feet for Cody to look at, because it felt like I had been poked with chicken wire (for you country children who have dealt with chicken wire, you know how that stings), but then it hurt much, much worse than I thought it should have. Cody suggested that maybe I stepped on a sea urchin and to have it checked, so I swam to shore and limped to the restaurant to tell them that I stepped on something. They looked at my toe and one ankle and confirmed that the purple spots now on them were in fact, Sea Urchin punctures. It got both my feet, but luckily on only three spots, because the more stabs you have, the more dangerous it can be.

After confirming what it was, they called over one of the employees, who brought rags and a bottle of vinegar. He then spent a very agonizing 15 minutes rubbing my toe and ankle and pouring vinegar on them to disperse the poison so that my body could fight it better. It hurt SO bad and I spent the whole time sobbing on Cody's shoulder, and trying, successfully not to scream. I don't know why the rubbing hurt more than the the throbbing puncture, but I never want that to happen to me ever again.

After they finished, and my toe felt MUCH better (Thank goodness, or I would have been PISSED), we walked the two miles in to the nearest town to have a lunch of seafood Pad Thai and Traditional Spicy Jungle Curry.

After lunch, we meandered back to the resort to lounge on the beach and drink Pina Coladas and Pineapple Juice, and I decided to take a nap on the beach.

After my nap, Cody and I took a shower and went to play around in the pool some more (I was really not up to going in the ocean yet).

After the pool, we got dressed and then headed back down by the beach to get relaxing massages. We couldn't do it when we were supposed to though, because the hotel forgot to book it, and so we had to hang out in our room for an extra hour, but then we were able to have our massages. They were really nice, and I liked watching some large red ants climb a nearby tree while we were laying there, but unfortunately, the mosquitoes started coming out during the massage.

After the massage, we changed and were treated to a candlelit dinner where we happiuly munched on:
Fish soup (yummy, tender fish)
Chicken curry
Mixed seafood with fermented salted eggs (good, except for the eggs)
Pork with vegetables
Mixed tempura
Mixed fruit
and a Caiperinha and Planter's Punch

It was all very good and just thinking about it makes me hungry again. After dinner we took a walk on the beach and then headed to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment