Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Getting things in order

It seems things are slowly falling in place for going home. I purchased my plane ticked home
and in a few weeks I can officially apply for my reimbursement. It seems that Cody was
successful in getting the Office of Education to buy him tickets for the same flights home.

*For those of you who don't know the story, the Jeollanamdo office of Education decided that
they were going to buy the tickets home for all JLP and JCP contracts, but that anyone on the
Regional contracts still had to buy their own tickets and be reimbursed at the end of their
contracts. It seems that they get some sort of discount by buying their tickets through Korean
Air. What irks me is that meant I had to buy my ticket through Korean Air in order not to fly
home alone (and I do not do flying well sometimes), and that means I didn't get to partake
in this discount, which could have saved me some money and hardship up front. I could have
gotten a flight for about $800 US up front,but this meant I had to shell out about $1100 up
front. I just hope that the exchange rate doesn't bomb between now and August, or that they
will reimburse me before the exhange rate might decide to tank again.

Oh well. Cest la vie. We both now have our tickets and it will work out I suppose. We will fly
out of Seoul Incheon International Airport on korean Airlines at 4:45 PM (so 12:30 AM Pacific
Standard Time, I think) on August 22nd. We will then fly for about 10 hours to San Fransisco
(SFO) Airport and will arrive at around 11:30 AM PST (So, maybe 5:50 am Korea time). We will
then have to hang out in the San Fransisco Airport afor about four hours (but we may have to
go through customs here), and then at 3:20 we will hop on an Alaska Airlines flight to Portland
International Airport (PDX) where we will arrive at about 5:05 to hopefully a bunch of family
members waiting for us.

From there, some of our family will take us to my dad's house where we can pick up my car. We'll probably head straight to a restaurant or grocery store before we go to where we'll be staying with our friends Adam and Jacob until we find jobs and a place to live. Soon after we get home, we will also have to buy new wardrobes (all of our old clothes are either too big for us or worn out and stained), and we will be traveling a little bit as well (visiting friends and family). We will also have to send out official announcements of our marriage, since it's difficult to do that from here, and write thank you cards for any gifts we receive between now and then.

I'm looking forward to going back, but I'm really not looking forward to getting a job. I know I can get a job, no problem, but the question is, can i get a job in what I really want to do? Ah well, I suppose we will see.

And so the countdown continues. Only about 81 days to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment