Sunday, June 21, 2009

Brunch and yummy scones

Today was really good, although I am so tired now from all my baking and the party last night, and then more baking this morning.

We had made a breakfast/brunch date with Abby and Jason, and so were summoned awake at around 9:45 by Jason’s call. I think he wanted to make sure we didn’t sleep too late and make his brunch too late because we were up late for Cody’s party, hehe. Anyway, we had made plans to hang out and make them brunch because we haven’t seen them too often lately because Abby’s pregnancy has been pretty hard on her and she’s stayed home a lot, and we have all just been really busy lately.

So anyway, we headed on over to their house at about 10:45 after packing up all the breakfast stuff we bought. I then baked them some homemade scones from a recipe I had been using off of allrecipes.com, but I decided to make the recipe my own by adding mini chocolate chips and Cody’s suggestion of chopped almonds. Cody fried up some bacon and made some cheesy scrambled eggs. Add some sliced apples, freshly whipped cream, coffee, and jam, and we had a really great breakfast going. I would love to find a thicker, fluffier scone recipe one day (all of the ones I find say to roll them a ½ inch thick, and would like to make some really big, thick ones just once), but the alterations to the recipe worked out really well. I didn’t measure the nuts or the chocolate chips, I just kind of eyeballed it until the dough looked right, but I’ll have the recipe at the bottom with my approximates added in.

After dinner, Jason generously washed all the dishes for us, and we say around until about 3:30 just chatting about Anneke’s birth coming up in August, the wedding, comedy, and other such things, and just generally hanging out.

After leaving, I then proceeded to be productive and create a pretty great numbers powerpoint using the ‘Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed’ song for my online 3rd graders, and then do these blogs, since I haven’t been too good about blogging when I mean to lately.

Whew, it's hot. I suppose since it's 9:18 I need to go get the Kimbap I said I'd go buy three minutes ago, lol.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chocolate Chip Almond Scones

INGREDIENTS

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup white sugar
• 5 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup butter
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 cup milk
• 1 cup chopped almonds
• 1 cup mini chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.

2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter. Mix the egg and milk in a small bowl, and stir into flour mixture until moistened. Fold in almonds and chocolate chips.

3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. You may need to add more flour because the dough may be too sticky. Roll dough out into a 1/2 inch thick round. Cut into 15 small wedges, and place on the prepared baking sheet.

4. Bake 15-20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment