Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Iro English Festival

November 20, 2008

So, about a week after the school festival ended, my co-teachers informed me that they were starting their planning and preparing for the school English Festival. This interested me a little bit as I saw how much effort they out into the school festival. They even asked me to put together some simple true and false questions that they could ask the kids and the kids could earn prizes. That was all they asked me to do, and my co-teachers would take care of the rest.

Well, the day of the festival pulled around, and classes were canceled for the festival. I was called down to one of three installments of it (since the auditorium is not big enough for the whole school). About 10 minutes into the 1-2nd grade presentations, Eun-su came and told me that they didn’t need me for the game questions I prepared, and I could leave, which I did, because the 1st and 2nd graders were only doing ABC and number songs.

After being at my desk for another hour or so, I was again informed, last minute that I was not needed at the 3rd and 4th grade performances. I decided not to go because I had already heard these kids sing their “Bingo” and “Mr. Sun” Songs.

Later, I wasn’t informed until last minute that the 5th and 6th graders were performing. I was rushed over, and had to sit and watch some very interesting interpretations of some American dancing and some classes attempting to sing songs like “Because of You” by Kelli Clarkson. I was forced to hide in a side room during the last two songs, and then I was whisked out as a surprise for the game. I then had to read the questions I had prepared, some which had been changed or added by my co-teachers, because they thought mine weren’t as good.

Finally the whole, annoying, let-down of a festival was over. It turned out to be a slightly offensive, thrown together, boring event, which was supposedly for me, but they didn’t care if I was there or not.

Ah well. That’s Korea for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment