Thursday, January 8, 2009

Orphan Christmas

December 25, 2008

For the past couple of months I have been volunteering at the local orphanages in and near Mokpo. For awhile I went to teach the teenagers at the Elo Orphanage, about 20 minutes outside of Mokpo. The girls were very sweet, but I came to realize that I was really not a best fit teacher for them at all, as I am a bit more comfortable with young children. I then started teaching the Kindergarteners at the more local Mokpo Orphanages. They are very sweet children, although some of them do have some emotional and behavioral problems, for understandable reasons of course.

Some of us spent Halloween and since trying to create a great Christmas for the Orphans, from raising money, to buying presents, to wrapping and presenting them. Abby put in a lot of the administrative work, but it took a lot of money and many of the volunteers to make everything work out as planned.

With all of the contributions to our effort, we were able to provide all of the orphans with some sort of Christmas present and everyone had a wonderful time. It was definitely a good experience as a volunteer as well, and if we stay for a second year, I would definitely look forward to doing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment